**Last Updated on November 20, 2019**
Today it is July 2nd which means you still have about a month of time left before you head back to school. And I want to make sure you are using that time to relax, rejuvenate, and enjoy the break. But I also know that summer is a good time for us to plan ahead and prepare for the new school year.
So let’s chat about 10 things you can be doing RIGHT NOW to prep for the upcoming year!
The best way to have a successful year is to set yourself up for success- right?!? Make a plan for what you need to do when you get back into your classroom, materials you need for the first day.
In fact, you can join my free three day challenge- Prep for the First Day where I will share detailed plans for setting up your classroom, a first day checklist, and ideas for organization and management in the new year. Plus, a whole lotta motivation, cause I know sometimes we need that!
10 Things to Prepare for the New School Year
This post may contain affiliate links.
All of these are fleshed out in more detail on the podcast, but here is a quick overview!
10. Choose 10-15 books for the first week and line them up on your white board ledge or somewhere with quick and easy access in case you need a time filler or things get crazy and you need something calming to do.
9. Plan for Parent Communication by deciding how frequently you will talk with them and through what platform.
8. Set a Budget for the New School Year or else spend all your money and wonder where it went!!!! My husband and I recorded a podcast talking about how we manage our finances and create a monthly budget.
7. Decide Classroom Jobs! Your kiddos can work for you and for the classroom. Make use of them!
6. Choose a Focus for the Year to filter all your PD decisions through as well as what you will ask for additional support in (and to filter out what things you can let go this year).
5. Participate in Online Professional Development for Teachers. There are SO many great resources out there these days for teachers to learn while in their pajamas! Let’s take advantage of that, because most days out of the year we are getting to work super early, do some “work” in the comfort of your own home.
I’m partial to my course- Kickstart Your School Year: A Teachers Guide to Planning for the New Year where we will do all the things we talk about in this post and SO.MUCH.MORE!
I also have a whole podcast episode with lots of other ideas!
4. Create a Management Plan for your students. This is SOOOOO important! If you only do one thing on this list, do this one!
3. Make a Plan for Time Management because your time will slip away from you. Plan what days you will stay late/leave early and what your focus for each day will be.
2. Write out Routines, both for yourself and your students. Transitions, expectations for stations, everything you do in a day, write it out so you can plan for it!
1. Plan for Meet the Teacher Night. This is your first impression with parents – make it a good one!
I’d love for you to have a listen HERE. And I would especially love it if you shared it with your other teacher friends!!!
Connect with Kelly
Want to stay up to date and get access to free organization and management resources + tips? Sign up below!
Photo by Shelby Buchtien of SAB Photography
Until next time,
If you found this helpful, make sure to pin it to your Pinterest board so you can refer back to it or so other teachers can find it!